Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Manila | Edsa Shangri-La | 25/07/2005 - Part II

Manila is actually a nice place to visit. The place exudes old world charm and the people are beuatiful and friendly. Of course, all this is totally betrayed by their unstable politics. Going into most building complexes, one's car is screened, your bags are searched and probably some body checks too depending on the clothes you are wearing. Really unfortunate.

Edsa ShangriLa was selected for my stay because it's close to the customer's place. It's nice - something you would expect from ShangriLa. Upon checking in I was asked whether I wanted to upgrade for USD55 - a few things thrown in like free broadband, late checkout etc... but I declined since it wouldn't look nice if my host found out ;) Anyway she then told me that there's no more non-smoking rooms - so that's why she wanted me to upgrade. I told her it's ok, I would just take the smoking room.

The room surprisingly doesn't smell of any cigarette smoke. The carpet however feels very thin and uncomfortable to walk bare footed on. However, the room is very nicely decorated and the arm chair is so comfortable for reading - which is great because I found out that books here are 30 - 50 % cheaper than in Malaysia !!

Broadband cost me USD15 for 24 hours.

Outside of the hotels, there is the ShangriLa Mall, looks very up market with a big food court at the basement, which was where I had most of my dinner. Of course, I also surveyed both the bookstores for future book purchases. There was also a cinema in the mall but didn't have time to catch a movie. Probably also much cheaper than Malaysia - have to find out during my next visit.

My hosts brought me out to tour Manila and had seafood dinner, but dang, I didn't bring my camera (was at the customer's place, which has a ban on cameras). So no pictures of the metropolitan Manila.

Thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Manila though it was for work. Hope to be there again in the future. If only their politicians can get their act together, Philippines can be a great nature with all the resources at their disposal. Then people can once again visit the great place without fear.

No comments:

nuffnang

googles